Moments in Time with the Ahlstroms

Let the madness begin...

Monday, September 8, 2008

What A Pain in the Chest!




I took Claudia to the ER on Friday. Since Monday she'd been having pains in her chest and back, along with a headache. She's also been pretty fatigued. When you call the dr. to get an appointment because you're having chest pain, they won't make an appointment, but tell you to go to the ER. So I left work and took her to the hospital in Loveland. The got us into a room right away and did a bunch of tests and asked a bunch of questions.

Finally we were able to go home after about 4 hours. The ruled out anything serious--no heart attack or blood clot issues. The dr. said he didn't have a diagnosis for sure, but that the two most likely conditions were pluracy and west nile virus. In both cases, you can only treat the pain, etc. and wait for it to pass. The most likely of the two is pluracy, which is an inflammation of the plura lining between the lungs and the ribs, and can take 4-6 weeks to clear up. The dr. thinks it may have been caused by the minerals in the hot springs pools we were in last weekend in Glenwood Springs.

So she's just taking some pain killers and hoping it will go away soon. She feels various levels of pain when she breathes and moves, so just about all the time. Although it is uncomfortable for her when the drugs wear off, at least it's not a serious life threatening condition.

Ben

7 comments:

KrisJ said...

O that stinks! So sorry to hear that and hope you feel better soon.

Nichole and Jeremy said...

Claudia,

Are you sure it is not primarycitas!!! You are the president of the biggest primary in the world. I think that would put most people in the hospital for weeks.

Hope you feel better real soon.

love
Johnsons

Haley L said...

YUK!! Well, the dang mosquitos around here could be the culprit. You would have had no clue on Sunday that you were down and out, you crazy lady! Hope they took good care of you in that ER--it's where I did my internship for school. Feel better soon!!!

The Graffs said...

Laura said you weren't feeling well. I hope you feel better soon and aren't down too long!!!!

Elizabeth said...

Hope you are feeling better! I just hope are are doing ok..we are praying for your speedy recovery!

Amy said...

yikes! hang in there and feel better soon. I had no idea that could happen from a hot spring...weird.

Tirsa said...

Claudia...I hope you are better now! I had pluracy once when I was about 10 and it was Christmas day and I was in soo much pain that I had to go to the hospital on Christmas. I sympathize with you and hope you are feeling better. If not, let me know what I can do to help!!!